Monday, June 13, 2011

It's a dog eat dog world...

...and today I'm wearing MilkBone underwear.

Today is my first day off for the summer. As per usual, I have an entire list--well, okay, several lists, and lists of the lists, and no, I'm not making that up--of things that I wanted to get done today.

Task 1: Hang shelves.
These are not complex shelves. These are 1x8s, cut into 4' lengths. Two of them. Screw the brackets into the wall, put the shelf on the brackets. Repeat.

Enter plaster walls.

If you have a house that doesn't have plaster walls, 1) I hate you and 2) you have no idea why this is such a bad thing. Drywall, you drive the screw in, it stays, you hang your stuff, you move on with life. Plaster, not so much. If you're lucky, you will get through the plaster with your drill and hit a piece of lath behind, into which you can drive your screw. Alternately, you could use those little plastic sheath things that I ran to Menards to get. They still didn't help. You know why? Because PLASTER WALLS SUCK. That's why. I appreciate that 120 years ago they were the bomb but you know what? My shelves are 21st century, baby.

So from 9:30 this morning to 2:00 this afternoon (with a lunch break included that possibly included one of the best margaritas I've ever had--not bad, this summer vacation thing), I have toiled at shelf-hanging. And what do I have to show for it, you ask?




FAIL.
I'm not even going to tell you what items 2, 3 and 4 were on today's list. Instead, I'm going to lay on the couch, watch a bad true-crime show, eat some Sun Chips and think about all the laundry I need to do.

Happy Monday!

1 comment: